Hi friends! I’ve decided to include books, TV, movies and music in this wrap-up because I think it would be fun to share my other obsessions haha. Also I read TWELVE BOOKS THIS MONTH. WHO HAVE I BECOME. I deserve cookie dough honestly. I also reached 500 followers this month, and I am so so grateful to each and every one of you who takes the time to read my posts. I love y’all to infinity and beyond*💜
*not to ruin the moment but can you already guess what one of the movies I saw this month was?
School has begun. With its books of awful covers and awful content. Just read on to the 3 stars. Although I did like Sir Gawain better than Beowulf! Although the whole “you can hit me (proceeds to bring out a sword and chop someone on the head” okay now find me and I will hit you next year” was very confusing, just as my sentence describing it is.
The Girl The Sea Gave Back | This disappointed me in quite a few ways. Where’s my fast-paced plot? My SLOWBURN ROMANCE??? I did get the atmosphere though so I’m grateful for that. It really wasn’t a bad read, just average compared to the author’s first novel. 3.5/5 stars!
Yona of the Dawn Vol. 2 | I’m going to write reviews (or at least mini-reviews) for these Yona mangas one day okay. This one was pretty good, it showed a lot of backstory, but I NEED MORE PLOT. I like battling and twists and magic. Anyways, this was basically 3 stars.
They Do It With Mirrors/Murder With Mirrors | So apparently there was a title change sometime between last millennium and now? I have no idea why. This was my third Christie novel and I was kind of disappointed, to be honest. The cast of characters and drama was hilariously entertaining but I half-guessed the ending which is practically impossible for me. So 3.5/5 stars!
Yona of the Dawn Vol. 3 | This was SO GOOD. The artwork was gorgeous as always, but we got new characters that are so fascinating and funny. You can tell that the plot is starting to pick up its pace and I can’t wait to see what happens next! 4/5 stars!
Love, Pride, Virtue, and Fate | This is an ownvoices Hindu mythology collection and it was so good! The writing felt perfectly suited to the type of storytelling it needed, and I learned so much about a type of mythology I haven’t had as much exposure to. 4.5/5 stars!
The Princess Saves Herself In This One | I officially love poetry now. This was so powerful! I HATE writing in books but I honestly may do it for this one because there are an insane amount of beautiful, raw, emotional poems. I keep switching between 4.5 stars and 5 stars on this one but this was just too good to be 4.5.
The Tea Dragon Festival | MY NEW FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVEL. Okay, so maybe I haven’t read that many but still. The representation, the artwork, the pureness…it was all perfection. Guess what’s going to be on my favorites of the year list?
With The Fire On High | ALSO THIS ONE. What a love letter to food and family. There was so much good to be found in this and brought up such important themes and AGH. ANOTHER FAVORITE OF THE YEAR.
A Thousand Perfect Notes | I actually finished in this in one evening which is virtually impossible for me so yes, I am shocked too. It was such an incredible mix of dark and light, of depression and inspiration, while also being an ode to music (and cake). Guess what? Another favorite of the year!
- Insomnia – Stray Kids (watch me sing/scream I CAN’T SLEEP over and over again at 2 in the morning)
- Winter Bear by V (my king and his velvety vocals and artistic vision is back again to steal my heart)
- So Jimin tweeted out that he was listening to a certain song and I gasped when I saw it, because three years ago I was IN LOVE with it! And then of course I proceeded to forget its entire existence until I saw the tweet and went running back into the open arms of Jealous by Labyrinth.
- Speaking of Jimin he also gave me Alec Benjamin (and H.E.R. but that’s another post entirely) and I am happy. Alec’s voice is so unique but also his lyrics are simple and raw. He speaks to so many people in life.
- I’ve been listening to Pink Sweat$ a TON and (last time I’ll mention the man I promise) I was just thinking how much Jimin would like him and two days ago Pink Sweat$ tweeted about how Jimin liked his song and I screamed. I m a little scared at how our music tastes are aligning so someone give me more recs.
- Soooo I’ve kind of been trying to learn a bit of Korean in my spare time, and in the process of improving my listening skills, I’ve decided to watch 10 minutes of a k-drama every day. So I started While You Were Sleeping and thirty minutes/three days in I cried. THIRTY MINUTES. And now I’ve given up on learning and have proceeded to simply watchinf for fun. It’s a hard-knock life!
- Toy Story 4 happened. I laughed. I actually didn’t cry (look, no one is more surprised than I am) but it was still so bittersweet and lovely and good and AGH. I am DIsney trash.
- Speaking of Disney, I finally saw the live-action remake of Aladdin and I liked it! Tbh the best part was when Zayn was singing A Whole New World in the ending credits, he’s really good okay.
- AND I FINALLY WATCHED JOHN WICK 2 AND IT WAS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST. The action! The intrigue! The dog! How the man kills three people with one pencil, we may never know. And then I watched 3 and it was not as good. Although the ending shook me to my core.
- I FINISHED THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY. MY SOUL HASN’T STOPPED SCREAMING SINCE. Also I think we can all agree that Klaus and Five are the superior characters thank you next.
And that’s it! Sorry that this was so long, I guess I had a lot to say haha. Tell me if you like the addition of other thing besides books, and what you’ve enjoyed this month friends!